Venture where only a fortunate few have passed.
The northern Pondoland section of the Wild Coast, stretching from Mtamvuna river in the north (Port Edward) to the mighty Umzimvubu in the south (Port St John's), is undoubtedly the least accessible, dramatically rugged and breathtakingly pristine section of the Wild Coast.
Passing through traditional xhosa villages, rolling green hills, rocky headlands and sandy bays. Pass amazing waterfalls, freestanding rock stacks and pristine estuaries on your journey.
The skeletal remains of numerous shipwrecks along the shore bear testimony to this high-energy coastline.
Details of Pondo-Explore Hike:
- Day 1: Drive to Port St Johns. Leave vehicles there in safe parking and get transferred to Msikaba at 2pm. Afternoon Activity: Take the canoes up the Msikaba Estuary, visit the Cape Griffon Vulture colony or visit the waterfalls in Mkambathi Nature Reserve Overnight: Msikaba Camp (s/cat)
- Day 2: Hike Msikaba – Luphuthana. 16km. Overnight: Lupatana Camp (s/cat)
- Day 3: Hike Luphuthana – Mbotyi. 14km. Overnight: Thatched rondavels at Mboyti Community Camp Site or upgrade to the Mbotyi River Lodge for an additional
- Day 4: Hike Mbotyi – Manteku. 10km. From Mbotyi south, the gradient of terrain increases – hence the shorter daily distances. Overnight: Manteku Camp
- Day 5: Hike Manteku – Ntafufu. 9km. Overnight: Ntafufu Camp Day 6: Hike Ntatfufu – PSJ. 11.5km.
Tour ends in the afternoon in Port St Johns – collect vehicles.
Accommodation in PSJ can be organised at the beginning &/or end of this hike.
All camps comprise 12 x twin bedded safari tents (under thatched bomas, nestled amongst milkwoods to keep cool) – each tent has its own ensuite toilet & hot water shower.
There is a central dining/ kitchen boma with all cooking & cutlery facilities provided - including a small fridge for perishable food items. Or, if your group is large enough – you can chose the fully catered hike option.
For more information, about this hike, please CLICK HERE: or Contact: Sarah Drew Tel: 033 2344367 Cell: 084 2407277 Email: sarahactive-escapes [dot] co [dot] za