1. We urge visitors to travel to the Wild Coast during daylight hours, and slowly, as the roads are not fenced and you are likely to meet a Transkei speedtrap in the form of a large animal. There are also potholes which are unavoidable at any kind of speed, as well as small, misleading dirt tracks leading from the feeder roads, so it is all too easy to get lost at night.
2. Be alert for reckless drivers.
3. Bring good walking shoes along with you, something warm for unexpected temperature fluctuations, a costume, towel, hat, sunblock and a good insect repellent.
4. The Tourist Safety Unit can be reached on 047-5052662.
10111 South African Police Services
10177 Ambulance Emergency Medical Services
112 Vodacom, Virgin, MTN, Cell C Emergency Number (148 for contract subscribers)
Mapuzi Police Station 047 575 9000 (Coffee Bay and surrounds)
5. Xhosa Phrasebook: http://www.wildcoast.co.za/xhosa-phrasebook