Cape Morgan Lighthouse & Nature Reserve

Cape Morgan Lighthouse & Nature Reserve

The Cape Morgan Nature Reserve is a coastal forest reserve and is admistered by EC Parks. The ruins of the old Titanium mine, started by Trev Miller in 1958, lie within the reserve and can be accessed from the Kei Mouth Golf Course road, where a new Eco Centre has was recently built to accommodate large school groups. One of the old mine buildings housed, until recently, the tallest indoor termite mound in the world, though this is sadly no more.

The Cape Morgan Lighthouse lies within the reserve and peeks out above the trees of the indigenous forest that lines the beach. The fully automated lighthouse was built in 1964 and is one of only 3 lighthouses along the Wild Coast. The Stone Chance lantern sits atop a 12-metre lattice tower and emits two white flashes every 10 seconds with a range of 24 sea miles. Walk to the end of the beach and along the path along the hill until you reach the old mine's seawater pump station, then follow the path up through the forest to the lighthouse.